Cryotech CMA® solid deicer is granulated calcium magnesium acetate, a patented chemical formulation from dolomitic lime and acetic acid. It is identified as a low corrosion, environmental alternative to road salt by the U.S. Federal Highway Administration. CMA is used worldwide to answer environmental concerns and solve problems associated with corrosion and concrete spalling.
CMA is produced as a spherical pellet using Cryotech's patented Unipel technology. This configuration minimizes dust, reduces compaction in storage and results in even spread patterns. Unipel technology and the unique composition of CMA increases product stability for long-term bulk storage.
Potential CMA customers typically include, but are not limited to, DOT's, public works agencies, property management firms, industrial firms, and construction companies. Customers concerned with corrosion, deicing performance, and environmental issues choose CMA as an effective solution to their concerns.
CMA is best used as a deicer, spread on the pavement after precipitation starts. Effective to the same temperatures as road salt, CMA has many unique performance characteristics. CMA can be used to offset the corrosive effects of chlorides while enhancing deicing performance when blended with road salt at rates greater than 20% CMA by weight. It is available from Cryotech in a 40% blend as Cryotech CMA40® solid commercial deicer.
CMA is also used in liquid form, generally for anti-icing roads and bridges. The fluid is applied prior to a storm to prevent snow and ice from bonding to the surface. Liquid CMA is typically formulated in the field from dry CMA. Contact Cryotech for mixing instructions.
To receive the maximum corrosion protection benefit from CMA deicer blends, it is important to verify the amount of CMA being used in the mixture by checking labels and product data sheets. Cryotech CMA is the only commercially available pure calcium magnesium acetate produced and sold in the United States.
- Less corrosive than tap water
- Safest deicer for concrete
- Mitigates chloride corrosion, chloride free
- Can be used on new concrete (dependent on quality), cured for at least 30 days
- Safer for pets than sodium chloride
- Manufactured as a round pellet to be less dusty than irregularly shaped deicers
- Complimentary customer training upon request
- Patented Unipel technology ensures uniform size, shape, and composition of each pellet
- Works best above 20°F (-7°C)
- Long lasting effects, better than chloride salts
- Breaks/inhibits bond between snow/ice and pavement making snow/ice easier to remove
- Requires fewer applications than other common deicers
- Creates some brine and a dry, oatmeal-like consistency with snow for improved traction
- Applies easily, can be used straight, mixed with salt or sand, and as a liquid
- Safer for vegetation
- Low toxicity to aquatic species
- Increases soil permeability, calcium and magnesium are soil amendments
- Acetate readily biodegrades to carbon dioxide and water
- Minimal mobility in soil, unlikely to reach groundwater
- Does not contain nitrogen or chlorides
- Apply early in the storm to prevent snow/ice bonding
- First application: ~10 lbs/1000 ft² (50 g/m²)
- Allow time for CMA to penetrate and loosen the snow/ice pack before removing snow/ice
- Re-apply when new snow/ice accumulation shows first tendency to bond