Solid Commercial Deicer
CMA40® is a blend of 40% calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) and 60% sodium chloride, or rock salt. CMA is a patented chemical formulation from dolomitic lime and acetic acid. It was first identified as a low corrosion, environmental alternative to road salt by the U.S. Federal Highway Administration in the late 1970's. Cryotech, and its predecessor Chevron, then tested and commercially developed the technology. Today, CMA is used worldwide to answer environmental concerns and solve problems associated with corrosion and concrete spalling.
CMA is generally used in a solid form and spread on the surface like other deicers. Although CMA is effective to the same temperatures as salt, CMA has many unique performance characteristics. Therefore, first-time users should review product application guidelines closely.
Often CMA is used as a corrosion inhibitor, blended with road salt at rates greater than 20% CMA by weight. The more CMA in the blend, the better the corrosion and spalling protection. Cryotech provides CMA and a high quality grade of salt pre-blended in a CMA concentration of 40% (CMA40). This product is recommended where protection from corrosion and concrete spalling is needed, but limited quantities of salt can be tolerated. CMA/salt blends should be stored with the same precautions as CMA. Visit the CMA page for additional information.
- Significantly less corrosive than salt to exposed steel or steel reinforcement
- Minimizes spalling, less concrete damage
- Retains many CMA benefits, safer for high quality concrete
- Requires fewer applications than other common deicers
- Complimentary customer training upon request
- Like sodium chloride, works best above 20°F (-7°C)
- Long lasting effect, better than chloride salts
- Effectively breaks and inhibits the bond between snow/ice and pavement
- CMA components are readily biodegradeable
- Calcium and magnesium are soil amendments
- Each 25kg bag of CMA40 can save approximately 130 lbs of chloride load in stormwater runoff
- Apply early in the storm to prevent snow/ice bonding
- First application: ~10 lbs/1000ft² (50 g/m²)
- Wait at least 20 minutes to remove snow/ice
- Re-apply when new snow/ice accumulation shows first tendency to bond
- Plow regularly